Evan's teachers came over for parent/teacher conference.
I wish I could have them over for hours and hours. We have so much to talk about. They know Evan on the level me and Jim do, except they have a different perspective and wonderful ideas.
When I mentioned that we wondered if Evan has some kind of diagnosis like ADHD or autism, they both shook their heads emphatically and seemed almost surprised at the suggestion.
So what is going on then? He's just delayed?
Answer: He just has a problem processing abstract information and language and therefore he gets emotional because he can't express himself properly.
Which is so spot on.
I have been teaching him concrete stuff like letters and numbers and how to read...all the things he is doing great with.
What I NEED to be working on is the abstract. (which is tough because it's, well, abstract).
For example, he has a hard time drawing people and things.
So guess what we are gonna add to his homework? Drawing a picture and "writing a story".
We need to ask tons of "wh" questions. who what where when why. These force him to process the proper language skills to answer properly.
Tonight he wanted to make a Christmas tree. He drew a triangle and a rectangle, cut them out and glued them together. He asked me to cut a star for the top of the tree. This is huge! I didn't even prompt it.
Also they talked about how nice he is to all his friends and that when he gets frustrated, he NEVER gets aggressive and NEVER tells Teacher Debi "no". That makes me really happy.
Overall, I feel like Evan has progressed so so much this year. We take two steps forward, one back, but at least we are progressing.
Avery's conference was fun too.
Mrs. Shapiro said, "she's always happy and eager to learn,"
wherein Avery chimes,
"that's because you make learning so fun!"
Haha. Good girl.


No comments:
Post a Comment