Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Day 12 :: A Show I Like


 
If you're looking for a Netflix series to pass the time on your coronacation:
THE LAST KINGDOM
is one of my favorite series ever. 
I've watched it twice, actually, and I plan a third viewing before season 4 starts.


So we started "home school",
as did everyone else in the whole country. 

If the economy wasn't hanging so heavy on my mind, 
I would say this complete shut down of society is the biggest gift we've ever been given. 

*SO FAR* 
doing school at home has been a great experience. 
The "first day" as we gathered in Avery's room for scriptures, 
 Andrew said to Jim: "I'm scared of my teacher!"
haha he's such a joker. 
Then he made a sign for our door "Larsementary".
(well he tried but couldn't spell it, so he had me write it)

I was calling it Larsen Academy, but the sign on the door makes it officially Larsementary.

I have a schedule, but I keep if very loose and malleable. 

After breakfast I read out loud to them. We started "The Witches" and it is such a fun, silly book.
Then we do math, board games, silent reading, writing, science. 

My main objective is to keep them on a routine and avoid TV/devices all day every day. 
They loved it and wanted school to keep going.  It was fun because mom was "playing school" with them. 
When 11:00 rolled around and the Dicksons were having recess outside, we dropped everything and went to recess. 

Then me, Jim and Evan went mountain biking.
(Dirt School)


It was Evan's first time on Galbraith. He was so fun to ride with. 
As we were peddling up to the trails he kept saying, "I have butterflies. I'm shivering".

I quickly reassured him that there would be no dangerous trails ridden by us today. Heaven's sake. 
He told his brain we wouldn't be doing flips or big jumps - that helped him calm down. 




TODAY
we watched about how rainbows are made. 
I scrounged up all the items we needed to make that one crayon rainbow art thingy. 
We didn't totally think it was going to work...



but it did!
As soon as the first bit of red started dripping down the canvas Andrew exclaimed,
"it's working! it's working!"

Look at that misspelling of "completed".
Larsen Academy is not an accredited institution. 



We also made shamrocks and hung them on the windows. 
Avery said "I love when you take holidays seriously". 
I told her when we have nothing but time on our hands...we have no choice but to take holidays seriously. St. Patricks day is a very important, serious holiday. 

No comments: