Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Day 19 :: A Year Ago and How I've Changed

Ooh this one is rough. 
Going through pictures from last year made me nostalgic. 
We were in San Diego for spring break last year. 
I miss vacations, 

hotels, restaurants, 

being nonplussed by big crowds. Standing in line with so many other humans. Not even thinking about the germs on the rails that keep us in line for rides. 

And the sports sports sports.
We were at the fields every day last spring. 

Sitting with friends and watching games. Sitting on packed bleachers. 

Going to restaurants! Just the adults! 
I think I miss this the most. We cozy up the four of us, people all around us, food right in front of us. Starving, eating, talking. 


Last year we had so little time to spend on the Easter activities. 
I specifically remember coloring eggs. We literally had 15 minutes. I told them, that looks great! now go get in the car.


And guess what? No tulip festival this year. 
We aren't even allowed to DRIVE by the fields. 
So sad. 

Last year my cogs were about to come undone with how busy we were. 
I loved it, I hated it. 

This pandemic is heavy handed with the message it is sending: slow slow slow down. 

I get it, I get it. 

Yesterday they announced the whole school year is cancelled. We will try again in the Fall. 
I told the kids while they were having a snack at the bar. We shed a few tears and then we continue on.

I feel like all the words have already been said about this unprecedented thing we are living.

The temperature on the boiled frog continues to be turned up a notch. 
I went shopping at rite aid and wore my very first homemade face mask. CDC suggested it's a good idea when you go to stores and stuff, so here we go. Another new normal.  

I feel hopeful about the future though. Washington has definitely plateaued. Yesterday we had zero deaths! 

Sunday was Palm Sunday. 
Our family always "celebrates" by singing Easter Hosanna and waving our paper palm leaves during the "hosanna! hosanna!" part. 
But THIS Palm Sunday was extra special because we did the real Hosanna shout with President Nelson during conference. 

So, that's TWO Hosanna shouts in one day.  
It's a symbol of joy and rejoicing.

Then my friend texted me an explanation of "Hosanna":
 In Hebrew it means "save" and "please".
We wave white handkerchiefs (and palm leaves) in order to get God's attention, 
As we repeat Hosanna, we are asking God to save us - PLEASE SAVE US!
I think that is so cool right now. Especially because neither time that we did the Hosanna shout was because of this pandemic, but: both, same, yes. 



No comments: