Sunday, April 19, 2020

Day 21 :: Pet Peeves

You know what I've discovered? Pet peeves are a luxury of a comfortable, crisis-less person. 
I knew this topic was coming up, and I could not think of any pet peeves. It seemed so trite to think of things that irk my precious sensibilities when real problems abound. 
But I came up with a few nevertheless:

1. Chinese wet markets.

2. When people rest their head on my shoulder (this doesn't include babies or children whom I am holding). I was on a date with a guy one time and he rested his head on my shoulder, and it was game over from then on. 

3. Picky eaters. Especially when they are my children I have to feed.

4. Screaming into my ear when I am in a confined space. Especially when they are my children and we are in a car driving. 

5. Splashing. Especially when they are my children in a bathtub and I have told them many times not to splash - it gets water all over the floor. 
Once upon a time, months ago, I put my boys into the bathtub then went downstairs to have a piece of cake (my leftover 40th birthday cake!) and a visit with Joe and Lisa. 
We were having a chat on the couch, boys upstairs being loud and splashy...when Joe points to the ceiling over by the kitchen (below where the bathroom is), and says "there's water coming out of your ceiling."
Yeah, so the boys splashed so much (they put entire towels into the tub, then threw the wet towels onto the floor) that the water dripped on down through the floor and through the light fixture. 
We ran upstairs to see what the heck is going on...
Joe and Lisa tip toed out of the room and out the door.
The boys are no longer allowed to bathe together. 



The trillium is blooming in the forests. We found these little beauties all over Galbraith on Saturday.
Here are some more up close pictures of flowers blooming around the valley:

Magnolia

I don't know what bush this is.

Giant mushroom!

Fairy carpet. 

Saturday evening we began phase 3 of the bike track at Halverson. 

Andrew wanted to go home the whole time.
He even told me he needed to poop, so I drove him home, but he didn't actually have to go. 



This is the portion of the post when I talk about how weird the world is. 

Tuesday I went to Costco. The line was the longest it's ever been. It took me 30 minutes to get in. 

My favorite podcast guy, Jonathan Goldstien, said the other day: "Today was more normal than yesterday. Not because it is, but because it was as strange as yesterday."
I feel like the crisis mode and the grief mode have subsided and we are settling into "normalcy". But not because it's normal, but because at least the frog water has maintained a consistent level of boiling. It hasn't been turned up in a while. 
We have assignments from teachers we work on at "kitchen table school". Every time I get an email or call from Mrs. Weeda I get tears in my eyes. She's my favorite and so perfect for Andrew. 
But alas. 

Here is the creative, boredom-driven activity of the week. 

"loaded diaper! sup bro!"

Here is when I show you the delicious things we have been cooking:
I made a Mary Berry pavlova. It was awesome. It was totally cracked and deflated, but I don't care. 
I'm going to make it again tomorrow. 

Jim smoked ribs all day with homemade BBQ sauce. 
 Delicious. 

I made yogurt. 
I have been meaning to make yogurt for many months, but I felt intimidated by it, or too busy or whatever. So "yogurt in the time of Corona" is what we have here. I was worried I made too much, but it's almost gone. 

Hmmm...I can't stop thinking about that pavlova though. I'm def making another tomorrow. 

 I hope everyone has chosen some friends to isolate with. 
I think some people in our neighborhood wag their finger at us for it, but I don't care. I read right at the beginning of this that you should choose a "social cohort" to isolate with because it is a more feasible form of social distancing. I was like: yep I agree with that. 
We picked people who are our favorites, but also they have little contact with the front lines. We are a pretty stagnant bubble. 

Wednesday: I had just got back from a bike ride around the neighborhood, and I was standing in the street talking to Lindsay on my bike. Suddenly something comes up behind me and slaps my bike tire with their bike tire. I shriek and it's Jim whizzing by me on his bike. It scared me and my armpits got all sweaty.
Then later in the day he and I went to Galbraith. I was squeaking my brakes slowly down Mullet, going nice and cautious and here comes this biker behind me going SO FAST. He yips loudly as he passes by, and once again it's Jim. 
Once again it scared me and made my armpits get all sweaty. 

I'm going to end this post with this story...in case I said something stupid - you will forget all about it once you hear about the pony on our street.
Driving home, we rounded the corner onto our Sagebrush Lane, and there was this lady walking her pony along the street. I was like:
 "Jim. Reassure me that this is real and that I'm not seeing things. This world is so topsy-turvy right now, I don't know what's real and what's fake anymore." 
He assured me that, yes, there is a Shetland Pony out for a walk on our street. 



No comments: