Thursday, April 23, 2020

Day 22 :: Celebrity Crush

It's actually a "fictional character based on a historical person" crush,
because celebrities are the worst, all around. 

But this CHARACTER is just great: conflicted, nuanced, fearless. 
Uhtred, Son of Uhtred
Uhtred of Bebbanburg
Uhtred Ragnarson 


School.
It's hard right? Nobody wants to do school like this. Not one single one of us. 
Some minutes are ok, others are a mess. 

My favorite part of school is when we read together - after breakfast, before actual "work". 
We started this fabulous book. It's so strange and full of every exciting adventure you can think of. Our little hero boy is blind, of course, and that is his superpower. 

Today we were schooling at our kitchen table, and a bird flew right into the window.
He sat there and gathered his wits for a good hour. 
We didn't know if he was going to die or recover. 
Hey! Just like our economy! It's a real metaphor. 

Avery was very concerned. 
Andrew would go over to the window and say in his high little voice: "hi Vah Medo! hi Vah Medo!"

She showed the bird how to fly. 
And she took a time lapse of his recovery. 
While we weren't watching, he eventually hopped away. Good thing we got a video of his heroic recovery. 


One day the kids played in a mud puddle; the mud puddle at the bottom of the slide, made by soap and hose water. 


Pavlova number two was a success! It is our household favorite corona dessert. 

I love some of the kids' imagination games they play these days. 
They call this a beanie boo meeting. 

Evan has to write daily for school, then share it with his teacher. Today he wrote: 
"Sometimes my brother and sister and the Dickson family go to this one forest that's near our neighborhood. We make stuff like weapons and bows. We also buy and trade and sell our stuff. Our money is huckleberries and cattails. We also do capture the flag for our game and war. We also have bases the boys have their own base and the girls have their now base. I'm in the boys base. The forest is really fun."
I like the part about what they use as goods and currency. 

My kids empty the dishwasher as one of their chores. Avery does the top, Evan does the bottom, and Andrew does the silverware. Lately when I holler "come empty the dishwasher!" one of them comes down and empties the WHOLE thing as a surprise for the others. They take turns being the emptier/surpriser. 

The other day, I awoke in a sweaty panic - afraid that my blog would disappear from off the internet. 
I am just renting this space from Google, and since hardly aint nobody blogs anymore, what if they just evicted us all and bulldozed our creations? 
I know this is a rona-related fear, but NOTHING IS SECURE anymore. Including blogger. 
So I worked all day at backing it up and making a blog book for Andrew's first baby year. 
I've done all I can to preserve all the memories. 

Some days I am more optimistic than others, but lately I just picture this giant drain, and everyone and everything and every job is circling that drain.
I knew that school was going to be cancelled for the rest of the year before they announced it, 
and likewise I feel that we are not going to get to live/work here in Bellingham much longer. I'm just waiting for them to announce it. 

May corona have mercy on our souls.

No comments: